Range History

Early history of St. Louis County townships—part 8

An A-to-Z chronicle of the county's rural areas as of 1921

Morse Township The Township of Morse, which embraces four congressional townships, is particularly historic. Its organization dates back to 1887, and its history to the pioneer mining days of Northern Minnesota. The City of Ely, and Village of Winton are within its borders, and some of the richest mines of the Vermilion Range. Its valuation (assessed) has increased from $41,693, […]

Early history of St. Louis County townships—part 7

An A-to-Z chronicle of the county's rural areas as of 1921

Missabe Mountain Township The Township of Missabe Mountain, which is one of the wealthiest of the county, was organized in 1892. In 1892, its assessed valuation was $315,400, but mining discoveries and developments, and the rapid growth of the cities and villages within its borders— Virginia, Eveleth, Franklin, and Gilbert—has increased its valuation to more than $64,000,000, and taxes amounting […]

Early history of St. Louis County townships—part 6

An A-to-Z chronicle of the county's rural areas as of 1921

 McDavitt Township The township of McDavitt [northwest of Cotton] was erected in 1894, such action by the county commissioners following the presenting of a petition by the voters of township 56 north, range 18 west. The petition was signed by … Please register for a free account or log in below to access this content. Username Password Remember Me   […]

Early history of St. Louis County townships—part 5

An A-to-Z chronicle of the county's rural areas as of 1921

Kelsey Township Continued from May 7. On May 6, 1903, a petition was prepared in the hope of bringing about the separation of three congressional townships from Kelsey. The document was signed by C. J. Keenan and others, and asked that townships 53-… Please register for a free account or log in below to access this content.


Category Pages are limited to 28 days. Please use the archive page or the search box to find older articles.