EVELETH – I was talking with some of my officers and many safety-related winter topics are common sense, but probably there is a need to remind the public of a few things. We would like to remind everyone, both for personal and public safety and to protect their property, to do the following:
• Make certain your vehicle is clear of frost, ice, and snow, including keeping your license plates visible.
• Make certain to utilize your running lights, especially during rain, sleet, or snow and use extra caution in wet and icy conditions.
• Make certain to maintain an increased following distance, especially on slippery or snow-covered roadways.
• We recommend not leaving your vehicle doors unlocked when allowing your vehicle to run or warm up in the cold winter months.
• At any time of day or night, always lock your vehicle and not leave anything of value inside. If something is of value, please attempt to conceal it or place in the locked trunk.
• We also recommend that you lock your garage and house and utilize motion lights at all outside entrance/exits if possible.
The Eveleth Police Department hopes everyone has a safe winter.
Tim Koivunen is the Eveleth chief of police.