While daydreaming of working in the garden, here are a few gardening tips to consider.
• Plant shade trees on the southwest side of your home to lower cooling costs in the summer
• Plant tall evergreens on the north side to cut winter heating costs
• Add mulch to gardens to reduce water consumption
• Install rain barrels at the downspouts for use on non-edibles
• Kill weeds in cement and sidewalk cracks with full strength white vinegar
• Set the mower height to three inches. Better yet, use an oldfashioned push mower
• Install a timer on soaker hoses
• Use solar-powered outdoor lighting
Jo Bjerke is a master gardener. She lives in Virginia, MN.