County receiving additional $281,000 to assist with bridge replacement costs

ST. LOUIS COUNTY — St. Louis County Public Works has been awarded $281,113 to cover design engineering costs for a series of bridge and culvert projects planned for 2022 and 2023. The funds come from the state’s Motor Vehicle Leased Sales Tax, and will help the county move forward in cooperation with the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) on a series of 21 projects totaling more than $17 million.

Public Works and MnDOT have been working together on this bridge bundling package as a way to save money and make the project processes more efficient by combining all 21 projects into one design contract and two construction packages. It includes 17 county bridges and four MnDOT bridges. Among the county’s 17 bridges, the average age is 73 years, and seven of them currently have limited weight restrictions.

With the total cost estimated at $17.6 million, the county and MnDOT had sought a $14.1 million grant from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to cover 80 percent of the cost. The remaining 20 percent, $3.5 million, would be paid with local and trunk highway funds. However, while the FHWA chose the bridge bundling project for funding through its Competitive Highway Bridge Program, the approved amount was for $10.3 million, leaving a funding gap of $3.8 million.

St. Louis County has sought funding from the state bonding bill to help fill the gap, but the legislature has been unsuccessful in passing a bonding bill this year. The county also is seeking funds through other state aid programs to assist with costs.

“This has been an enormous undertaking from the beginning, but we know it will have a large, positive impact on our bridge inventory, making it possible for heavier vehicles to use them and aiding economic activity on our road and bridge network,” said Commissioner Paul McDonald, who chairs the transportation committee. “We are thankful to MnDOT, which has been an invaluable partner throughout, helping us to receive the original $10.3 million, and now this additional funding for design costs.”

St. Louis County Public Works is responsible for maintaining 3,000 miles of roads and 600 bridges throughout the county. Consistent progress has been made, in particular over the last five years since the passage of the Transportation Sales Tax, to improve the quality and safety of the county’s vast infrastructure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.