The leading school of the district of course is the Mountain Iron High School, even though the building of the Mountain Iron Grade and Athletic School in 1919 entailed a greater expenditure of money. The high school was erected in 1911, at a cost of $95,000. The length is 150 feet and the width 95 feet, and the building when opened provided two kindergarten rooms, 10 grade rooms, an auditorium 44 feet by 73 feet, chemical and physical laboratories, three recitation rooms, superintendent’s office, and gymnasium. Lighting, heating, and ventilation were of the highest standard then obtainable, and sanitary drinking fountains were on each floor.
The high school building had to serve for a graded school also, and at the outset the departments housed were: kindergarten, grades, high school, home economics, and manual arts. It was stated that “it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find a community of the size of Mountain Iron with a better and more serviceable school building.” The enrollment in the high school building (presumably of all grades from kindergarten to high school senior) in the year 1911-12 was 277. In 1915-16 it was 459. A night school was also conducted in the High School building, “especially for teaching the English language to foreigners,” and it became an institution of distinct value in Americanization.
There was once no college or university in the country that had heard of Mountain Iron through any of its graduates. Today, graduates of the local high school are in pursuit of higher education at Duluth State Normal School; Stout Institute, Menominee, Wisconsin; Hamline University, St. Paul; Macalester College, St. Paul; Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota; University of Minnesota; University of Chicago; and Columbia University, New York. —Walter Van Brunt, Duluth and St. Louis County, Minnesota; Their Story and People (Chicago: The American Historical Society, 1921)