For more community-driven stories, visit our archive.
It’s easy to become an HTF contributor
We invite you to join the growing ranks of Hometown Focus contributors! Over 700 community members have shared their news, stories, photos, history, recipes and videos with us. Our grassroots publication is one-of-a-kind and a true reflection of the communities we serve and celebrate.
Our publication is distributed in all communities across the entire Iron Range, plus we are available in online, mobile and tablet formats! You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. And don’t forget to upload our super-cool mobile app, DiscoverMN – your “go-with-you-everywhere” connection to northern Minnesota.
It’s so easy to participate! Click to submit on our website, or simply email us at: email@example.com. Drop-ins at the office are always welcome, too.
HTF submission tips
Are you submitting a personal story or a news item?
A news item is factual statements written about something that is happening (a meeting, a community event, etc.) that provides details like who, what, when, where, and why.
A personal story is written from your own perspective and includes personal feelings, thoughts and observations. It’s helpful to know that these submissions are two different things.
Things to do:
• Check your facts (make sure dates and times are correct).
• Include contact information (your name, email address, telephone number and city of residence).
• Take note of our submission deadlines (usually one week prior to publication).
• We like photos! Include the first and last names of people shown in the photo and describe what the photo is depicting (large file size photos/hi-resolution are the best).
• Electronic submissions are preferred (email to firstname.lastname@example.org), but we accept paper submissions too.
• If you’re submitting a personal story, your name will appear in the byline at the beginning of the story. We want to know where our contributors are from, so include your city of residence, too.
• Just keep it simple. Use regular type with normal capitalization (please don’t write in all capital letters) and don’t worry about fancy formatting (we have our own formatting).
• Please just send a Word .doc or an email. PDFs require a lot of work on our part.
• Remember, Hometown Focus is dis- tributed across the Iron Range. Make sure readers know what area you are referring to.
• Share, share, share. News. Stories. Recipes. Pets. Veterans. Health. Mining. Photos. Videos.
• Have questions? Just ask. We’re here to help.
You don’t have to be a natural-born storyteller to share your stories with Hometown Focus. We’ll lend an editorial hand to make sure your story is as good as can be.
We hope you’ll be a Hometown Focus contributor soon!