For more community-driven stories, visit our archive.
Operation Round Up gives to community programs
GRAND RAPIDS – Lake Country Power’s Operation Round Up participants are committed to lending a helping hand to the communities and residents of northern Minnesota. Through their assistance, the Operation Round Up Trust Board recently approved $42,550 in contributions to local community programs during its quarterly meeting.
Operation Round Up is a charitable program unique to electric cooperatives which is designed to provide financial assistance to worthwhile activities and community projects by “rounding up” members’ electric bills to the nearest dollar. The average donation of each participating Lake Country Power member is $5.52 annually.
The cooperative’s Trust Board reviewed and considered 54 grant applications and distributed funds to 45 projects and programs this past quarter.
Since the program’s inception in October 2004, $1,190,624.10 has been distributed to hundreds of community-based projects and programs.
All funds generated through Operation Round Up are set aside in a trust fund. A Trust Board of nine co-op members, who are appointed by the co-op’s board of directors, administers the trust fund. Of the funds collected through the program, 100 percent is distributed to charitable organizations through an application and selection process. The trust board uses special guidelines and policies when choosing recipients. Operation Round Up’s most recent recipients:
• Virginia Choir Boosters
• Grand Rapids Showboat
• McDavitt Volunteer Fire and
• East Two River Skating Rink
• ElderCircle Adult Day Service
• Second Harvest North Central Food Bank
• Babbitt Blue Line
• Carlton VFW
• Hill City Chamber
• Eveleth Gilbert High School-
Close Up Trip 2013
• Itasca County Historical Society
• Wawina Township
• Tower Women’s Civic Improvement Club
• Cromwell Bethany Quilters
• Moose Lake Area Food Shelf
• Dorothy Molter Museum
• Twelfth Step House, Inc.
• Elder Services Network, Inc.
• The Salvation Army HeatShare
• Buck Lake First Responders
• Wolf Track Classic Dog Sled Race
• Adopt a Senior Program/In Faith
• Cook Community Food Shelf
• Ely Art Club
• Morse-Fall Lake Fire Dept./
• Community Cafe’ Inc.
• Jennie Guyer Ice Fishing Tournament/
Greenway Recreation Board
• Great Minds Learning Center
• Lutheran Social Service of MN/Sr. Nutrition
Center for Independent Living of
• NE Minnesota
• Ely Winter Festival
• Angel Fund
• Bomber ClubSchool Age Care
• Virginia High SchoolOnce Act Play/
• First Lutheran Church, Buhl
• Thrifty, Nifty & New, Remer
• Project READISD #318
• Care Partners, Inc.
• Well Being Development-
Northern Lights Clubhouse
• Mesabi Family YMCA
• Faith in Action for Cass County
• Remer Centennial Library
• FUN RUN
Applications are available online at www.lakecountrypower.coop. The next application deadline is February 15.
Lake Country Power, www.lakecountrypower. coop, is a Touchstone Energy cooperative serving parts of eight counties in northeastern Minnesota. The rural electric cooperative provides services to nearly 43,000 members and has offices located in Grand Rapids, Kettle River and Mountain Iron.